Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Memorable moments from my short practicum

On the last day of school, every student was on the hallway and read to go home after the last class. I was walking on the hallway to the office. On my way, someone called me, saying”Miss Wu”. I was surprised that someone called me on the hallway. I looked at her. She is one of the students I taught in the grade 9 class, Karen. She said good bye to me, and we had a little chat since it’s my last day of the short practicum. Honestly, I felt so warm when she called me and said good bye to me because some students actually remembered me and called me outside the class even I only taught them for a couple days. I could see that I have built some relationship with students and this made me feel happy and warm.


For the first day I was teaching , it's a math 9 class. I wrote down important notes on the board, and I assumed the students would copy down the notes. So, I didn’t say “Copy this down”. However, when I was walking around the classroom to help them working on the worksheet. I was surprised that not many of the students actually copied down the notes. I asked a couple of them, "Why don’t you copy down the notes?" The reply I got was "I don't know we need to copy it down." After the class, I told my sponsor teacher about this, and she said students need rules and instructions. We need to tell them what do to, otherwise they won't do it.So, the next day, I told them,”This is notes, and it’s important. You need to copy them down. So later on, when you got stuck, you have something to look at.” This time, it worked out better than last time. Most of the students copied down the notes. I was surprised that we need to tell the students precisely what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment